I’ve added a lot of the old manual to the Manual section of the website. Most of these pages need to be edited and are out of date. I will be editing them over the coming weeks to ensure they are up to date and read better.
I bring to you yet another game update.
I’m pleased to say that the Cleric and Fighter systems are in.
The Cleric system is almost the same as before. The main plan here is to make each Entity to give more gifts than before at each donation level.
Here is an image of the Gifts screen:
This screen looks a lot better than the previous one. Overall, the Cleric system was easy to implement – it only took a few days to do so.
The other project I completed was the Fighter Style system. I wanted to give different fighting styles to the fighter class. I wrote up a post explaining it here: Fighting Styles
This system took a bit of extra code to make work properly – the game did not support automatic or reactive abilities. It does now.
Finally, I managed to get copyover working for the game. This was a long project – 5 years in the making – but I finally was able to do it. I had to use a special Java framework that works like a plug and play manner. I’m very happy – this was something I wanted to do for a long time.
During these items, I’ve been thinking about the character customization. I’m going to tackle that after I complete the Rogue system and the class focii.
Overall, I’m making great progress and believe it is possible to start open testing this summer!
Thanks for reading.
Until next time….
I have another update for A Tempest Season.
After a lot of thought and suggestions from Telrei, I have decided to try to convert as much as the old content as possible. I thought it would be better to take a few weeks to do that through a convertor, than it would be remake everything.
Overall, it has been very successful! All of the rooms, exits, items, stats, monsters, quests, shops, item and NPC resets, etc, have been converted.
Here is an image showing the current in game information:
The only thing that have not been converted are the mob programs, which I will be starting on next.
Overall, the conversion process is huge – it will remove months of hard work from what we have to do and we can focus on more interesting matters, like new game systems, adding NEW areas, and just making things better overall.
Another topic I would like to talk about are abilities. One of the main issues with the old ATS was the creation of abilities for the classes. This was a very tedious and time consuming task, which also involved lots of duplicated code. As you can see, it really wasn’t a good situation.
One thing that I always wanted to do was to have some sort of ability editor. I started on it a few times but never got very far, mostly due to the fact the old ROM code base is written in a certain way and we had so much already present in the internal tables and structures.
However, with the new version of the code base, the idea of an ability editor is really almost an afterthought – it is very easy to implement and I have done the majority of it. This is really huge! Since it allows anyone (like builders) to make up their own abilities. I can still make abilities and will do so, and it will be FAST!
Now, I realize that we cannot make every ability through this editor, so I also designed the system in such a way that we can have hard coded abilities. This gives us ultimate flexibility and capability to have a really good set of skills, and allow for growth in the future.
Here is an image of the ability editor:
On top of these major updates, I’ve done a lot of other changes, which can always be tracked in the Game Updates section on the forums: Game Update Section
Well, that concludes this update!
Until next time…