Preview: Blood Shaman

We'll be announcing things about the game and other games here! There will be no in-game announcements in this forum.
dayrinni
Site Admin

Preview: Blood Shaman

Post by dayrinni » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:58 pm

Hello!

As you know, we're working on new classes. The next one to be implemented will be the Blood Shaman. We will do a preview of each so you can all have an idea of what is to come.

(NOTE: The below is currently in development and is subject to change at any time, without notice)
Blood Shaman
The Blood Shaman is a native to Ama'rane and is Pagri based. They will (at some point) receive a new starting area, much like the spiders.
They focus on two key points:
1. Blood: healing, damage, debuffs and buffs via blood points and their own health.
2. Totems that house the spirits of various animals: utility, debuffs and buffs.

As such, they will be rich in lore and tribal history on Ama'rane.

Blood Points
Blood points is a system where the Blood Shaman drinks pools of blood, rivers of blood and torrents of blood. They can then use this to power their spells and gain random bonuses upon casting them. For example, casting a healing spell may boost its power by 20% but cost some blood points. Some abilities require certain levels of blood points to be used, while others may spend these points.

Role
The role of the Blood Shaman in A Tempest Season will be a healing, support and damaging class. They will be able to deal more damage than the average Cleric, but heal and buff less. Blood Shamans have to juggle their health in order to properly heal - many of their abilities drain their life as their blood powers their spells.

The Blood spells also provide various unique buffs and debuffs.

Finally, the totems will provide different utilities and buffs/debuffs.

Focus
The Blood Shaman will have two focii: Sanguimancer and Bloodmender.

Sanguimancer: A more offensive based Blood Shaman.

Bloodmender: A more defensive based Blood Shaman.

Specializations
The basic specializations for Blood Shamans will focus on awarding Totems. There will be 4 totems that can be acquired. Each totem has 4 skills and most of these are automatic (the spirit of the totem empowers you). A Shaman can only equip 2 specs (one at 25 and 60). At level 100, the other 9 totems will be equipped and these will be fleshed out greatly, as well as blood specs. At most only 1 level 100 totem can be equipped.
* indicates a change requires an upload+copyover.

"You merely adopted the typos! I was born into them."

dayrinni
Site Admin

Re: Preview: Blood Shaman

Post by dayrinni » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:17 pm

Hello!

I just want to take a moment here to discuss why the design of the Blood Shaman is taking so long.

This class has two facets - a healer which uses their own life force, and then a spiritual side of things - usage of totems.

We have decided to make each as interesting and synergistic as possible. We wanted to present an interesting and challenging game style that can appeal to many different types of players. For example, it is a well known fact Moska loves cats, so we had to make sure the cat totem was really cool! Likewise, Bairn likes to smash things dead! So we had to make sure there were cool ways to do that via the skills, specs and other abilities.

Of course, we make everything as interesting as possible but the Blood Shamans are special. Why? Since their announcement several years ago, it has been a highly anticipated class. As they say, "the hype is real". So we are trying to build the hype train that can take you right into the station - the station of expectations met. I do not know if will ultimately succeed, but we are trying our best here with making for a really interesting class.

Finally, because we didn't want to have much overlap with Clerics, we had to do a lot of thinking and investigations with various game play systems and so on.

Some of this may be familiar sounding and...you're right! The last class that had this type of design and development time was the Arcanist! And that is definitely one of the most interesting and fun classes in the game!

It is likely the difficulty of the Cleric will be moved to medium (it has got a lot easier to play since the buffs and the only 'hard' thing is the amount of money you need to raise up in devotion ranks and that really isn't hard) and the Blood Shaman be moved to hard. We really wanted to have this class reward a player who balances their health vs the healing output they do. A lot of different choices are presented to the player and this will require some skill to play effectively.

FINALLY, this class, has been a tightly coupled joint effort between Actinate and myself. Usually, I come up with the class on my own with a causal list of input from Actinate (ie: Actinate told me he wanted Agents to use clockwork gadgets and I run with that on my own with input here or there from Actinate as needed). I make a draft, and he approves/disapproves. Then I implement. This time, with the Blood Shaman, it is different. We are working together, hand in hand, to continually design the class. Due to this, it takes longer to work through this process. But! It'll hopefully pay off with a great class in the end.

Thanks a lot for being patient - we are deeply moved by everyone's strong dedication to this game even though it is beta. You guys are all the best! You can rest assured that we are trying our best to make an amazing game and bring it forth to the internets this year!

Thank you!
Day and Act
* indicates a change requires an upload+copyover.

"You merely adopted the typos! I was born into them."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic